When booting a protected system with a Windows Server 2012 server domain controller (on either an appliance or within Virtual Office), you may encounter this message:
|STOP: error c0002e2 Directory Services could not start|
In a domain controller server, after a dirty shutdown or power outage, you may face this message:
Directory Services are unable to start
with a stop code of c00002e2:
STOP: c00002e2 Directory Services could not start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
Error Status: 0xc0000001. Please shutdown this system and reboot into Directory Services Restore Mode, check the event log for more detailed information."
Resolve this issue
Follow the instructions below to resolve the c00002e2 error:
1. Restart the server and press F8 key; Select Directory Services restore mode.
2. Log in with the local administrator username and password.
3. Type: cd \windows\system32
4. Type: NTDSUTIL
5. Type: activate instance NTDS
6. Type: files
7. If you encounter an error stating that the Jet engine could not be initialized, exit out of ntdsutil.
8. Type: cd\
9. Type: md backupad
10. Type: cd \windows\ntds
11. Type: copy ntds.dit c:\backupad
12. Type: cd \windows\system32
13. Type: esentutl /g c:\windows\ntds\ntds.dit
14. This performs an integrity check. The results will indicate that the jet database is corrupt.
15. Type: esentutl /p c:\windows\ntds\ntds.dit
16. Agree with the prompt.
17. Type: cd \windows\ntds
18. Type: move *.log c:\backupad (or just delete the log files)
This should complete the repair and restore normal system functions.
Verify the repair
1. Type: cd \windows\system32
2. Type: ntdsutil
3. Type: activate instance ntds
4. Type: files
You should no longer get an error when you do this.
The file information should now appear correctly.
If a database analysis is required:
From the NTDSUTIL command prompt:
1. Type: Semantic Database Analysis
2. Type: Go